Where to Recycle:
The Solid Waste District now accepts USED COOKING OIL at the Recycling Center!
This service is available for RESIDENTS AND BUSINESSES!
- All types of vegetable oil – corn, olive, canola, coconut, safflower, etc. (must remain liquid at room temperature)
Animal fats (i.e. bacon grease)
Hazardous wastes (i.e. motor oil, transmission fluid, etc.) – see our Household Hazardous Waste page
Why Recycle Used Cooking Oil?
- Pouring oil down the drain causes major blockages in sewer pipes. These pipes then need to be replaced, often using residential tax dollars. Also, if pipes become blocked this can lead to sewage overflow, which gets into lakes and rivers and causes pollution. This pollution can make water unsafe for fishing and swimming.
- Pouring oil into the garbage can when still hot can cause garbage bags to rip, resulting in severe burns. It can also cause a mess and should not be disposed of in the landfill.
Cooking Oil and Biofuel
- The market for cooking oil is increasing, due to the fact that vegetable oil can be recycled into products with many different uses. It can be used to supplement poultry feed, as fuel for furnaces, and most commonly as biofuel!
- Biodiesel is becoming very popular for a number of reasons. It burns cleaner than most other fuel types, which preserves our air quality and reduces carbon emissions. Biofuels improve the local economy and reduces America’s reliance on foreign fuel sources.
How Can You Participate?
If you have used vegetable oil that you need to dispose of, you can bring it to our Recycling Center free of charge!
Please place the oil in a sealed container once it has cooled. The oil must remain liquid at room temperature for it to be accepted.
Do not put water, food, or other liquids in the container with the oil.
ANIMAL FATS ARE NOT ACCEPTED (i.e. bacon grease)
A collection barrel is in place at the Recycling Center, labeled “Used Cooking Oil Only” (see image below) – please push the customer assistance button if you need any help!
Lawrence County Solid Waste
3326 Mitchell Road
Bedford In 47421